Buy Now
Tell the KI developers what you think of the game! - KillerInstinctOnline - The #1 Fan Site

KillerInstinctOnline - The #1 Fan Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out Killer Instinct TV!
Guests have limited access, sign up now for full access!

+-

Navigation

Home
News
Killer Instinct (XB1)
Killer Instinct (Arc)
Killer Instinct 2
Soundtracks
Sound Bites
Forum

Recent News

02/06/17: Sneak Peak At Ultimates for Killer Instinct

10/30/16: Get the Killer Instinct Season 3 Soundtrack here.

07/20/16: Pre-order Killer Instinct Definitive Edition here!

07/17/16: The Killer Instinct Definitive Edition is coming Sept 20th!

News Archive

Killer Instinct TV

Amazon

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 1376
Latest: KincherSwomb
New This Month: 92
New This Week: 86
New Today: 9
Stats
Total Posts: 10679
Total Topics: 1426
Most Online Today: 171
Most Online Ever: 942
(June 16, 2015, 09:04:32 PM)
Users Online
Members: 1
Guests: 120
Total: 121
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tell the KI developers what you think of the game!  (Read 9211 times)

CXK

• Administrator
  • Crazy Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: A FATAL ERR0R
    • View Profile
Tell the KI developers what you think of the game!
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »

Lets give the developers of the new KI suggestions, comments or what you're liking from the new KI!  They want to hear from the community, were all hardcore Killer Instinct fans, after all this is the most popular Killer Instinct site around!

I will see if I can get in contact with the developers and pass this along.  Maybe we can get an interview with one of them as time goes on.

redeyeguy

• Global Moderator
  • Training
    • View Profile
Re: Tell the KI developers what you think of the game!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07:46 PM »

- Perfect the character balance. For example, in the original KI, Orchid had ridiculous range advantages and so many mix-up options; made other characters very limited in comparison. As a result, she ended up top-tier by a long shot.

- DEBUG THE GAME LIKE CRAZY. Both KI and KI2 (KIG included) were and are notorious for glitches and whatnot. Some of these really screwed up the gameplay and character balance. Everything from infinite combos to unblockable loops and massive damage glitches. TEST TEST TEST.

- There are TWO interesting glitches that should be turned into special abilities of some sort (perhaps only available during powered up moments, etc): the air-enders and air-ultras --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2JCQCOvE1s
And ender-resets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu-UG7EzH2k
Air-enders and air-ultras can actually look pretty cool, and are excellent ways to add extra damage to a combo without risking having the ender broken. Ender resets caused massive damage, but they often required timing + the ability to mix up, and some of them were still punishable, escapable, etc. But they definitely looked REALLY cool and added more depth to the gameplay. Both of these glitches often required much practice to get the timing and technique down.

- There should be less emphasis on massive combo gimmicks and chains and autos. High-level play in every KI game was about mixing up normal moves as well as chaining together normals and unbreakable special moves to form unbreakable combos, and psyching out the opponent with different combo and attack mixup intervals, modifying ranges at unexpected times, using clever movement/dancing, etc. However, I digress. The truth is, at the highest level of play in Killer Instinct, breakable combos will be broken VERY OFTEN if not all the time!!! It's true - high level KI players can react to the majority of breakable options (me being one of them). This really removes the need to use massive or fancy automatic combos unless the opponent is already almost dead (at which point, breaking your combo won't be an option). In fact, the only breakable automatics that had any use were enders that were only breakable on hit-1. Pretty much everything else became useless once a player had become skilled enough to break it. Make the game less dependent on gimmicks and more dependent on refined gameplay. Of course, casual players will love the auto combos and fancy material, so they should not be removed or abandoned. However, keeping the hardcore players in mind may extend the overall life of the game and its popularity, cult followings, etc. Why didn't KI and KI2 last very long? The gameplay had a lot of limitations, bugs, too many gimmicks, etc. Just refine the gameplay as much as possible!

- Get the blockstun done right. MK and SF games are a good example of fighting games that have good blockstun mechanics

- Doesn't hurt to have a variety of cool codes and modes to mess around with. For example, a to mess around and do your biggest, fanciest combos, or test out unusual techniques, then compare it online. See, there you go. Now big, fancy combos are actually good for something. ;)

- Get players that actually know how fighting games work to give you further advice and ideas, perhaps testing too (hint hint). There are some players that may provide interesting and fancy ideas at times, some of which could be valid (I dunno, extended ultras; crazier versions of fatalities that are only available during certain conditions, etc), but most of these players are only considering gimmicks and do not understand fighting games at the deep level. Therefore, consider both the casual gamer and the serious, competitive gamer. Not just guys that are into eye-candy, technique, and mechanics. Understanding advanced techniques (even glitches) means nothing when active application is in the fog. The game and the usefulness and legitimacy of its various mechanics and techniques are truly picked apart when high-level mind games come into play. Understanding serious mind games is how really good players turn playing a game into something akin to a science or even an art. Flashiness and crazy ideas are good but may also lead to another gimmick-oriented game if they are not taken with certain considerations. Of course, we all know how KI and KI2 (especially the latter) did with all those gimmicks. I mean, Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994) and Ultimate MK3 (1995) remained popular and competitive for years. There is a reason for this. The truth is that graphics and gimmicks only go so far. I also believe that any developer can get good ideas from watching high level play of KI and other fighting games. WATCH how the action plays out and not just the moves that take place. ;)

That's all for now lol.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:53:57 PM by redeyeguy »

CXK

• Administrator
  • Crazy Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: A FATAL ERR0R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »

wow this is a great start!

redeyeguy

• Global Moderator
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »

Lol, I edited my post for more clarification.

ayan2200

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:41 PM »

I would like to see saberwulf moan and do the dog whines when he gets hit like in the original KI, and hopefully get all the audio the same or as close as possible.

redeyeguy

• Global Moderator
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:23 AM »

Oh yeah, the new announcer freakin' sucks. PLEASE BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL ONE FROM KI ARCADE!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:22:19 AM by redeyeguy »

Dinder

• Basic Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:09:42 AM »

I'm really hoping for more Arcade cabinets, KI is definitely something that belongs in arcades. What I want to know is if this is a reboot going back to the 1st game or a sequel, if it's a reboot I hope it takes more from the 1st game while keeping every character from the old games and adding on new ones, the cast wasn't really that big and the characters are pretty unique to eachother so I don't see this being a big problem.

GameMasterGuy

• Monster Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: GreyMagicGamma
  • New age hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:21:25 AM »

I'm really looking forward to the new KI and think you guys (the developers) will probably get a lot of haters bashing on your free to play model, but if it's done right I don't see any harm in it. Specifically I'm talking about the ability to try a character before buying them; even restricting trial characters to training mode or having a different free trial character every week that would get cycled out would be fine, as long as the characters other than Jago aren't blind buys based on what we've seen and remember alone!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:32:06 AM by GameMasterGuy »

XYL

• Basic Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 03:54:35 PM »

My wish list for new KI:

-like Redeye said balanced charecters and no gamebreaking bugs
- Full charecter roster: all fighters from KI 1 and 2 ( this also includes Eyedol and Gargos) + 5 to 6 new charecters
- New soundtrack either by Robin Beanland ore inspired by his KI soundtracks
- Finishers: 1 Ultra, 2 Danger moves, 1 retro danger move (for charecters from previous ki installments) Stage finisher/knock off and humiliation
- Game modes: tournament mode(from KI snes), team mode (from KI Gold) team death match mode (from kI gold) Training/practice mode
- Story Mode: a more story driven mode then regular arcade ladder climber (inspired by MK9)
-charecter select screen: like KI and KI 2 I feel the select screen should be a wheel turner where you rotate through charecters and can select alot of diffrent color variation of the charecters

PingLH

• Basic Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: PINGLH
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »

The game looks crazy good, I hope to see orchid char too in the game.

I would like to have the option of doing the the no mercy at the end of a fight. I was thinking in the training room for recording combos, after you record your combo it would display your button inputs at the bottom screen from left to right on playback. So if you share it´╗┐ out your friends can see what inputs you did on the bottom of the screen.

qu3x^

• Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »

Pros
- finally a game upon that franchise
- cool new combo system
- cool breaker feature
- meter gameplay
- Demo mode, f2p, optional character DLCs what so ever
- dynamic sound behavior
- still 2D game mechanics

Cons
visual wise

- Polygonal 3D reboot (using Blur Studio like CGI prerender stuff would have been cooler)
- again you forgot the good old spritework guys
- comical overdrawn look (why not stick to a more Tekken or DOA like look)
- JP influenced overall look
- no more blood particles instead its just blood sprites/buffs
- light emiting air distortions instead of bloody hit confirmers
- Combo info looks like Bloody Roar (change that to BOLD light blue viusals, KI one style)
- missing destinctiv 90's techno age look
- Glacius looks like a stick ice instead of a gelatine mercury icy mixture

audio wise
- you don't change the ULTRA (srsly you don't!)
- put in a "denied" voiceover when the player fails to break the combo
- turn up the announcer default volume
- announcer voice must go deeper and even more reverbed when more dmg is dealt

Thats all I sum up in the first place.
GreeZ qu3x^

lionswrath

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »

Oh yes finishers are a must in this game by the way Cinder needs to be in.  Love that fire warrior

JuanLouis

• Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »

First let me say I understand its been over a decade and a half since there's been any addition to the franchise and sure some changes would inevitably have to have been made, however, I want to point out the obvious fact that KI even 19yrs ago was always unique and ahead of its time in more ways than not.

To what degree it was like  any other game, it was also to a very large degree unlike and distinguished from the others, so giving Killer Instinct in all rights its own identity. So with that being said, I do agree with you redeyeguy about fortifying KI competitive status as an overall game with staying power after the graphics has wowed. I also think the broken parts in KI' represented to a large degree it systems potential to be that kind of game that has a balance of it all while still keeping its edge and overall feeling of the game intact. I picture supurb gameplay, of course the graphics & music and all that made KI great and unique. I always thought would be amplified and refined by the technological advantages available now. So I never thought a major overhaul (complete change) would be needed but a kind of fine tuning and building on the unique system already laid by the first games. Not saying gameplay wise they haven't to a substantial degree done this, I haven't played it yet. But yeah...

Graphic wise, as shiny as the first two games were (Which I actually liked) I think it looked much more realistic than the new version which looks great but lack for some reason the KI feeling. This was part of the essence of what made KI unique to me, in conjunction with its fighting style speed and the smooth animation flow, the cinematic like movements. KI might not have had the details perfect in the gameplay but KI was very much into detail  even down to how the characters personality was portrayed through movement..for instance, KI characters seemed to walk a lil more natural as opposed to the bounce effect other fighter have..Also the camera panning,  its timing and syncopation with the movement of the characters ascension and descension created a dynamic that added to the KI experience..just little details like that should not be omitted because of focus on game play..I always dreamed of a balance between the two..even these 19yrs later I have not seen some of these things KI boasted done -quite- that way. It was the details the movements, the mesh of the cartooney, plastic yet somewhat realistic texture of the game and how smooth it played that held a lot of KI' distinction from the others in its look. The new seem to lack these qualities to me and looks a lot like SF in art. I pictured the next KI in it actual gameplay would look something like the look the supreme victory cinemas with full 3D fighting not excluding the occasional 2D fighting plane the way KI liked to mix them. I could have seen DOA style but darker over SF. I just seen so much potential in expounding on what was already laid because even then us KI fans wanted to see more of that..so to have kept the game in it original  style but updated would have been awesome. I just hope Robin did the music and please get the original announcer back in there soup'em up or whatever but don't take his grunge away the game is called KILLER Instinct..Ok enough of that I could go on for day or 19yrs worth.

Overall from what I seen I think the games looks really cool but not the total wow factor I think could have been achieved with the workin of a franchise like KI, especially considering the great outcome of it inception despite limitations. I don't think its too late to attemp still, so I hope this is not the last one.. but I will say, I am glad despite my initial disappointments that KI is back in any capacity. May it do the brand some justice. I Do like the themes vibe (if that is from the actual game) and the spark effects too.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:41:27 PM by JuanLouis »

theincubuslord

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »

- Put Black Orchid in the game as a playable character.
(It might be safe to say that she WILL be in the game, but just to make sure. ;P )

- Have Orchid's weapons be a mix of her KI1 laser swords and her KI2 tonfas. Like, have her swing the weapons like tonfas, but the "blades" are actually lasers, if that makes sense.

- No charge characters, like Sabrewulf and Combo were in the previous game, but stick to what you changed about Sabrewulf where you simply just press "Back - Forward" instead of having to hold "Back" for 2 seconds before pressing "Forward" and then a button to pull off certain moves. It slows the gameplay alot.

- Put in finishers, the "No Mercy" ones. Not just Ultras, as cool as they may be. If someone fails to do an Ultra combo, it is nice to finish off your opponent in a different kind of way while the opponent is stunned/dizzy from losing all his/her health (like in KI1).

- A Story Mode, like NetherRealm Studios have in Mortal Kombat (2011) and Injustice, to tell the tale of this new Killer Instinct, seeing the story from different characters' perspectives.

- Ending Cinematics in Arcade Mode, like in the two previous KI games, either movies (like in Tekken) or text-based with small cinematic clips (like in KI2).

- Training Mode, like in KI Gold, where you were able to try out each character's moveset and some combos.

- I have noticed that Jago and Sabrewulf have almost exact same throw animations. Hopefully each character will have their own unique throws in the final build of the game.

- Have several costumes for each character, like a main and an alternate outfit to choose from, instead of just colour choices. Do something like (Super) Street Fighter 4 did.

- Put in an Archive mode where we can check out each character's background stories, costumes, endings (when unlocked after completing Arcade Mode with the individual characters) and stages.

I think that was it... for now. ;P

qu3x^

• Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 08:46:47 AM »

Graphic wise, as shiny as the first two games were (Which I actually liked) I think it looked much more realistic than the new version which looks great but lack for some reason the KI feeling. This was part of the essence of what made KI unique to me, in conjunction with its fighting style speed and the smooth animation flow, the cinematic like movements. KI might not have had the details perfect in the gameplay but KI was very much into detail  even down to how the characters personality was portrayed through movement..for instance, KI characters seemed to walk a lil more natural as opposed to the bounce effect other fighter have..Also the camera panning,  its timing and syncopation with the movement of the characters ascension and descension created a dynamic that added to the KI experience..just little details like that should not be omitted because of focus on game play..I always dreamed of a balance between the two..even these 19yrs later I have not seen some of these things KI boasted done -quite- that way. It was the details the movements, the mesh of the cartooney, plastic yet somewhat realistic texture of the game and how smooth it played that held a lot of KI' distinction from the others in its look. The new seem to lack these qualities to me and looks a lot like SF in art. I pictured the next KI in it actual gameplay would look something like the look the supreme victory cinemas with full 3D fighting not excluding the occasional 2D fighting plane the way KI liked to mix them. I could have seen DOA style but darker over SF. I just seen so much potential in expounding on what was already laid because even then us KI fans wanted to see more of that..so to have kept the game in it original  style but updated would have been awesome. I just hope Robin did the music and please get the original announcer back in there soup'em up or whatever but don't take his grunge away the game is called KILLER Instinct..Ok enough of that I could go on for day or 19yrs worth.

Overall from what I seen I think the games looks really cool but not the total wow factor I think could have been achieved with the workin of a franchise like KI, especially considering the great outcome of it inception despite limitations. I don't think its too late to attemp still, so I hope this is not the last one.. but I will say, I am glad despite my initial disappointments that KI is back in any capacity. May it do the brand some justice. I Do like the themes vibe (if that is from the actual game) and the spark effects too.
Thank you, you sir just nailed it. Due to my limited english vocabulary I wasn't able to find the right words to make my oppinion as detailed as yours.

If I would follow a more darker look I would have stuck to sprite and gone for a quality of like this image of a random werewolf sketch out of a CG forum.

just think of a little more hairy and bulky version and you have a perfect Saberwulf. Compare this Image to the actuall version and you think of a Paris Hilton sidekick look.

There is also a neat YT wich redesigns pixelated games. He redraws a single shot of the game in Photoshop by recreating the actuall look and feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujsRnOx11qs
GreeZ qu3x^
Pages: [1] 2

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Not affiliated with Microsoft, Rare, Iron Galaxy or Double Helix Games in any way.
The site best viewed on a current OS with up-to-date versions of Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome.  
Admin contact: CXK@killerinstinctonline.net
KITV Channel Browser Powered By: Streambadge
Site banner by Rash4ever and other artwork by Psyke