Pics of a trip I took this summer. - KillerInstinctOnline - The #1 Fan Site

KillerInstinctOnline - The #1 Fan Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out Killer Instinct TV!
Guests have limited access, sign up now for full access!

+-

Navigation

Home
News
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Killer Instinct (XB1)
Soundtracks
Sound Bites
Downloads
Forum

Amazon

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 1488
Latest: kerripo69
New This Month: 18
New This Week: 18
New Today: 17
Stats
Total Posts: 10713
Total Topics: 1439
Most Online Today: 560
Most Online Ever: 942
(June 16, 2015, 09:04:32 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 539
Total: 539

Author Topic: Pics of a trip I took this summer.  (Read 5277 times)

CXK

• Administrator
  • Crazy Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: A FATAL ERR0R
    • View Profile
Pics of a trip I took this summer.
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »

My wife and I took a trip to Lake Powell this summer. Ever since my parents bought the jet skis we've been on the lake like crazy. I saw a video of Lake Powell and decided we had to go. I started planning it in April, trying to make it as cheap as possible. I don't like staying hotels if I can avoid it (thats a whole topic on its own lol) we've slept in our Rav4 in the past. I can't tow 2500 pounds in that car so we had to take my work truck (Crewmax Tundra). Knowing there was no great way to sleep in the truck I had to get creative. I'm not very handy but I came up with a "bed" platform, I bought the wood and threw it together one day. It came out far better than expected. I fold my back seats down and set the platform on top of them, once the bed is in place and the front seats have been moved all the way up it folds out and legs are attached for support on the bottom. The entire back seat area is one level platform, about 4x5.5 feet. Luckily we are short so this works out pretty well, can't stretch out but if you put a pillow under your knees its not noticeable.

The trip had been planned to account for almost every hour since we couldn't stay too long, we had 4 nights. The reason is I can't be away from work too long and our cat can't be left alone for more than that without her losing her shit haha. I was packing the truck the day before on August 24th I come inside and hear my air conditioner was really loud. Turns out the inside fan was going out and causing the outdoor unit to overheat or freeze up if it stopped completely. It was Saturday and no one could get parts until Monday. So we were screwed, we couldn't leave our cat in the house it would get way too hot. I unloaded the truck, rescheduled the trip for Sept 12th. I watched the weather like a hawk, its the desert but storms could really ruin our time on the lake and be really dangerous just being on jet skis. Rain was (of course) in the forecast but everyone say "Hey, its the desert, it will change or not rain much if it does." We left, drove 800 miles the first day towing the skis. Spent the first night a truck stop we'd stayed at before west of Albuquerque, then headed to the Grand Canyon for a quick look (Kristine really wanted to see it again, it was only a 100 miles west so we went). We got to the lake on the second day and it was raining like crazy lol. It cleared, we got on the water for a short time that first day and then another storm was rolling in with lightning so we didn't risk it. I complain, but 8 (I think?) people died in a flash flood nearby that night. It was a lot of rain.

I know this is long, hopefully not too boring to everyone haha. If so just skip to the end and look at the pics. But the lake is very low, 94 feet low as of our trip. The boat ramp (which cost $60 to get into the park, $20 per vehicle/jet ski, ouch) was INSANELY long. I'm fat but I'm active all day at work and always say I'm able to handle some exercise for a fatty. The boat ramp from water to top was 1,400 feet long all a steady uphill climb. Then I had to park farther than that away from the top of the ramp. It turned out to be a half a mile walk, mostly uphill. I also lost my wedding ring on said ramp that first night. We somehow found it in the lightning and rain with a bright flash light and another hike up it, thankfully.

We made screens with magnets on the ends to stick on the truck over the open windows and keep the bugs out, those were great. We stayed cool, even too cold at times. But it rained like crazy that first night, we slept in a Walmart parking lot. That sounds scary and unsafe but that particular Walmart lets RVs stay overnight even though they close. It was more of an RV park than Walmart lot at night. I kept having to wake up and roll the windows up lol. It was in the 50's at night so it wasn't bad sleeping with the windows up. We slept great. I know that sounds difficult but even me, someone who notices every noise and weird person around slept great. I woke up a lot but never felt unsafe during the whole trip. The planning helped, I looked at every place we would sleep about 20 times checking reviews and all.

I wish we could have stayed longer but we did see a gorgeous lake. It was worth the short trip and we saved hundreds of dollars not staying hotels. All we really had to pay for was gas, we borrowed a Yeti ice chest and brought food.

We got lots of pictures and video but havent had time to go through it all and make a big video. But heres some shots and a video or two.

This is the bed I built with no padding yet:

Bed with 6 inches of foam and a blanket:

The massive walls of the canyon, you can see where the water line should be. Its still crazy deep for a lake, over 300 feet in most areas we were in. You can see Kristine is the pics for size reference.

We also hiked to Horse Shoe Bend, you walk right up to a 1000 foot drop off and see this gorgeous view.

Videos (watch in 1080p60fps):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgvmwgCB7k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgvmwgCB7k</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfP0gKylRw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTfP0gKylRw</a>

Here's the original photos, not resized.
http://www.myfilespot.net/user/powell/bend.jpg
http://www.myfilespot.net/user/powell/canyon1.jpg
http://www.myfilespot.net/user/powell/canyon2.jpg
http://www.myfilespot.net/user/powell/canyon3.jpg
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 08:44:17 PM by CXK »

Eclipso

• Global Moderator
  • Godlike Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: Shin Eclipso
    • View Profile
Re: Pics of a trip I took this summer.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

haha, that sounds like an awesome trip. I'm jealous, I haven't been on a trip like that in YEARS.

CXK

• Administrator
  • Crazy Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »

haha, that sounds like an awesome trip. I'm jealous, I haven't been on a trip like that in YEARS.

It was fun, I like being able to do that. We just saved up a couple  hundred for gas and other things and went. With no kids to think about we can leave on a whim. We tried to go camping tonight before it gets too cold to jet ski, packed everything up and took tomorrow off...the park was closed until April lol. The other parks wouldnt allow fires since due to the drought and its been really dry and windy here lately. There was a massive grass fire near the highway on our way out there so it makes sense. So we just came home and will go out on the lake early tomorrow before the winds pick up.

We almost cancelled the Powell trip a few times, I got nervous about dragging around the jet skis for 2400 miles. We were going to go spend a couple nights in the Rockies instead and see some stars. I figured I'd be pretty close to your area. But I just decided we may not get the chance to get out to Powell until late next year and I didn't want to regret not going. Thankfully Kristine's health is good so I don't like to waste time. Hopefully she'll never have a problem again but I'm not going to sit around and wait to find out. We try and do something fun, biking, short one night trips or just going to the lake as much as possible now.

I was never like that, I hated going camping. I think I'm starting to drive my wife crazy with it now haha. She used to be the one begging me to go camping and do all this stuff now she's turning me down when I want to go camping. I'm glad I like doing all of this now. I'd rather get out and have fun than sit around and play video games. I'll have plenty of time to do that when its cold and my work is slow in the Winter. Or what we call "Winter" haha.

Eclipso

• Global Moderator
  • Godlike Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: Shin Eclipso
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 06:46:52 AM »

I don't know how well you get to see the stars there but going into the mountains and seeing them is amazing. I remember seeing them like that when I was young. You forget how many stars are actually out there. Depending where you went you would have been within a few hours of me.

We went to the lake this summer and discussed purchasing a boat but jet ski's sound like a better (and more affordable) idea.

CXK

• Administrator
  • Crazy Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:35:44 PM »

I don't know how well you get to see the stars there but going into the mountains and seeing them is amazing. I remember seeing them like that when I was young. You forget how many stars are actually out there. Depending where you went you would have been within a few hours of me.

We went to the lake this summer and discussed purchasing a boat but jet ski's sound like a better (and more affordable) idea.
My wife used to live in Denver and she stayed the night in the mountains and saw the Milky Way. I've never seen anything like that, we don't have any mountains nearby. There is an observatory about 450 miles away but its in the middle of no where so we're never out there. We might take a trip there next month and stay the night to check it out.

Jet skis are great. There are times when I wish we had a boat, my dad does have one but its a fishing boat. Its a big one but he likes it to be really clean so tons of people on it isn't really his thing lol. I know boats take a ton of gas, our jet skis only take 16 gallons but you can blow through that in 2 hours on ours if you're running wide open for most of the time. But they also have Eco mode and touring modes so you can save fuel by not getting quick take offs.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Not affiliated with Microsoft, Rare, Iron Galaxy or Double Helix Games in any way.
The site best viewed on a current OS with up-to-date versions of Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome.  
Admin contact: CXK@killerinstinctonline.net
KITV Channel Browser Powered By: Streambadge
Site banner by Rash4ever and other artwork by Psyke