What do you think of KI2? - KillerInstinctOnline - The #1 Fan Site

KillerInstinctOnline - The #1 Fan Site

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Check out Killer Instinct TV!
Guests have limited access, sign up now for full access!

+-

Navigation

Home
News
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2
Killer Instinct (XB1)
Soundtracks
Sound Bites
Downloads
Forum

Amazon

+-Stats

Members
Total Members: 1985
Latest: Jamesrax
New This Month: 545
New This Week: 74
New Today: 54
Stats
Total Posts: 10703
Total Topics: 1438
Most Online Today: 229
Most Online Ever: 942
(June 16, 2015, 09:04:32 PM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Poll

Do you like it?

It's garbage, give me KI1 any day
- 2 (6.5%)
It's nothing compared to KI1
- 7 (22.6%)
It's just as good as KI1
- 13 (41.9%)
I liked it more than KI1
- 9 (29%)
I didn't like KI1, but I loved 2
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do you think of KI2?  (Read 14635 times)

Darththork99

• Extreme Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: Quilava Slave
  • Born once, Die twice. Born twice, die once.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of KI2?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »

I like KI2, but I love KI. The things that I personaly feel made KI2 a lesser game:
- The fact that it had the same amount of playable charecters, Imo all fighting games sequal should at least expand their roster total with 4.
- It had less finishers then KI and dropped humiliation
- They altered the moves drasticly so it felt that a charecter you played in KI didn't play the same in KI2
- The infight finishers. Felt this forced the finishers to be mostly projectile based and also dropped the recovery that knocked out players could use as a last hope.
Well said!

Maybe they were rushed to put KI2 out.  I'd love to hear the reason behind dropping Cinder, Thunder and Riptor.

They got rid of the characters for story purposes. Cinder was killed by Glacius and Riptor was killed by T.J. Combo. Thunder... I don't really know...
KI2013
Combo record:
Glacius: 98 hit Ultra
Thunder: 128 hit Ultra
Sadira: 80 hit Ultra
Orchid: 89 hit Ultra
Spinal: --
Fulgore: --

GameMasterGuy

• Monster Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: GreyMagicGamma
  • New age hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »

They could have easily said "we only have x amount of time until launch, there's no way we can fit in 3 more characters so let's kill them off".

XYL

• Basic Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »

well they didn't have to die in the story mode but nevermind that, that wasent really my point. look at street fighter 2 : 8 playable charecters then came champions edition: 12 playable charecters. Mortal kombat 1 : 7 playable charecters then MK2 : 12 playable charecters.

Dorcia

• Training
  • I rock. I roll. I roll on rocks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »

KI2 felt so 'cartoonish" to me.  KI was raw and dark.  From the  music to the stages.  The graphics were real as well.  Then, KI2 hits and everyone looks like they went to Comic Con to get their outfits.  Even Gargos looks like a fat Garden Gargoyle.  I remember the first time I got to Eyedol, I was genuinely scared of that character.  He was vicious.

KI2 was a kids version of KI.  Even the new characters were pretty weak.  Not to mention, they dropped 3 very creative characters. 

Just my two cents.

Darththork99

• Extreme Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: Quilava Slave
  • Born once, Die twice. Born twice, die once.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

KI2 felt so 'cartoonish" to me.  KI was raw and dark.  From the  music to the stages.  The graphics were real as well.  Then, KI2 hits and everyone looks like they went to Comic Con to get their outfits.  Even Gargos looks like a fat Garden Gargoyle.  I remember the first time I got to Eyedol, I was genuinely scared of that character.  He was vicious.

KI2 was a kids version of KI.  Even the new characters were pretty weak.  Not to mention, they dropped 3 very creative characters. 

Just my two cents.

I agree with you 101%. KI was a menacing game. From the music, to the look of the characters and their sounds. You could see the decay of the world that Ultratech has made in the stages (Orchid's stage, look at the moon. The street stages music portrays the city as Detroit x10.) KI2 was just WAY too cartoony and light. Even the finishers were watered down. The Ultras were just the exact same move repeated too...
KI2013
Combo record:
Glacius: 98 hit Ultra
Thunder: 128 hit Ultra
Sadira: 80 hit Ultra
Orchid: 89 hit Ultra
Spinal: --
Fulgore: --

Dorcia

• Training
  • I rock. I roll. I roll on rocks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:51 PM »

Just my two cents.

I agree with you 101%. KI was a menacing game. From the music, to the look of the characters and their sounds. You could see the decay of the world that Ultratech has made in the stages (Orchid's stage, look at the moon. The street stages music portrays the city as Detroit x10.) KI2 was just WAY too cartoony and light. Even the finishers were watered down. The Ultras were just the exact same move repeated too...

YES!  They took everything that was great from KI and threw it away.  I am hoping for some serious redemption with the KI 2013 release.

So far it is shaping up to be good.  Dark.  Heavy.  Back to what made KI so great in the first place.

Exodus

• Triple Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »

I agree with everything stated so far.  KI2 just seemed so watered down when it came to the dark setting, violence, characters, etc.  BRB, knocking someone off a bridge into the water where they just...sink?  Really?  I also agree with characters playing completely different.  Orchid for example was entirely different and just sucked in 2.  It just seemed like they tried to be too cartoony and flashy, but it wasn't that great.

CXK

• Administrator
  • Crazy Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: A FATAL ERR0R
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 06:02:03 PM »

I agree with everything stated so far.  KI2 just seemed so watered down when it came to the dark setting, violence, characters, etc.  BRB, knocking someone off a bridge into the water where they just...sink?  Really?  I also agree with characters playing completely different.  Orchid for example was entirely different and just sucked in 2.  It just seemed like they tried to be too cartoony and flashy, but it wasn't that great.
I really didnt like the "Nooohoooo....NooooHooo!!" from the announcer when characters fell off the stage.  It just irked me.

Exodus

• Triple Combo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »

Or the constant "KNOCK OFFFFFFFF KNOCK OFFFFFFF".  BRB, knocking someone off a roof only to fall onto thorn bushes . . .?  Really?  Then they just disappear onto them.  Must have been some really violent, genetically engineered, super thorn bushes, lol.

Mudarcade

• Hyper Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: Mud360elite
  • Muds Arcade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »

I know ki2 has its issues, but its called killer instinct TWO for a reason.   Its not Killer Instinct 1.5.  I totally agree with the crappy changes, but its still a Killer Instinct game. If someone said "do you want to play ki2 or tekken?" I would totally take ki2 over most fighting games. Some portions of the game seem half assed and rushed.  I recently played ki2 and enjoyed every second.  I performed Kim Wu's Ultra and Orchids Utra and Ultimates. Still gives me the rush after the announcer states which badass combo you just completed. There is quite a bit of dislike for ki2 and that's fine, but either way its still a ki game even if they chose to try something different.

CMC888

• Solid Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: CMC888 KI4Life
  • KI 4 Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 03:50:59 PM »

KI was graphically superior but I think for a specific reason to showoff the hardware for the Ultra64 console. The panning of the rooftops, the sparkles when two fireballs colide, sound may b better as well, but the combo system was pretty random, specific buttons as auto double to do enders, no supers, 30+ ultra's, cept for orchid and later on 80 with glitches.

KI2 to me is more 2D-ish and I hated the fact the announcer was gone for the combo's, didnt care much for thunder or riptor, cinder was fun tho. To me the combo system in 2 was more generic but as a result more fun to play because once you understand the system you could play with all the characters. To me the challenge was to master all the long combo's with B+1 counter and the manual hits plus a big damage combo as well, two characters who stood out for me because they were a little bit different in acheiving long combo's were Tusk and Spinal.

The summarize it: KI made more impact because it was so fresh and new and amazing looking and sounding. KI 2 was more fun to play and needed more time to master it.

KI3 already has both elements for me, it looks freaking amazing and it is hella fast, with the different type of characters it will be hard to master them all
Coz once you've played KI, you're KI 4 Lifeeee

KI 4 Life shirt? PM me
GT: CMC888 KI4Life
Facebook: KI 4 Life

JuanLouis

• Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 12:45:29 AM »

I loved KI2, yeah there were quite a bit of changes but I don't agree that it was cartooney in a lot of ways KI2's graphics and just plain animation in how the charaters moved were more smooth & life like. I do agree that some of the finishers could have been better and I dont think that taking the rotating 3d stages out was a good idea especially after being spoiled by the first one where 2d and 3d planes were present. Had they incorporated that feature into the detailed arenas of KI2 the dynamics would have been bananas! So in that way I can somewhat agree that KI2 might have been rushed not that they couldnt have done this (the prequel being the example) but that KI2 sucked and lacked KI essence!? Hardly! KI2 was intense! And it came across in the music gameplay in conjunction with the storyline it was befitting, it was supposed to wild and bewildering they were ripped 2000 yrs in the past..the mulitple endings the building effect of the combo enders parry moves the sound effect (tho I did miss the announcer..I guess I'm just one who got it..I loved it...better yet I think I just like Killer Instinct period and KI2 despite it's upbeat urgency that many scorn weak finishing moves and repetitive ultras. KI2 was a game to dig into and if you didn't then you missed it. I just think they shouldn't have waited so long to make 3. They could have easily picked up where 2 left off..it pretty much seemed the new fighters found in the past stayed there as the originals went back to the future..Orchid and Jago the protagonists of the story..their endings eluded to an awaiting challenge in the future. I liked it but this new one has still to grow on me..now you say 2 was cartooney...I left Street Fighter for Killer Instinct...now they look almost like twins! But that's my two cents. :) lata guys.

NOTLAW47

• Master Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: NOTLAW 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 11:28:25 PM »

I liked KI2 more than KI1.The gameplay,music,combo enders,mini ultras,and all that damn gold oozing AWESOME!!!
The truth,the whole truth,and
nothing but the STOMP-DOWN!!! truth.

twistedsymphony

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 09:44:16 AM »

I prefer KI2 to KI1 personally. I like the new characters they added, I thing the actual gameplay was much more balanced and polished; KI1 was kind of uneven and clunky in a few respects. I also really loved the music in KI2.

The only things I didn't like about KI2 were the things they removed from KI1... missing characters, missing costumes, humiliations and redemptions.

I do agree that KI2 could have been a bit darker, but honestly that doesn't take away from the game much in my opinion.

Kk-Man

• Awesome Combo
  • Xbox Live Gamertag: MadMetalKaiser
  • It's da way you move, to da killa groove.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 05:10:16 AM »

It's a different game, very close to the first one but with it's own combo system.
I agree the stage finishers looks bad, and the announcer is missing, still it's a great game with good music, lot of fun, badass boss aaaaaaand a training mode which is a good intro to KI fighting system for any KI noob.
KI1 is a masterpiece, KI2 is a very good fighting game, imo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Not affiliated with Microsoft, Rare, Iron Galaxy or Double Helix Games in any way.
The site best viewed on a current OS with up-to-date versions of Internet Explorer, Safari and Chrome.  
Admin contact: CXK@killerinstinctonline.net
KITV Channel Browser Powered By: Streambadge
Site banner by Rash4ever and other artwork by Psyke